Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sshh, Don't Tell Jim



Plants are like little kids. They have growth spurts. Just as one outfits a child with new clothes, a plant needs to move into a bigger pot. So I got busy repotting Love Grass, a lovely short native grass also known as Talahassee Sunset. It has lovely fringe and shades of pink in the blades.
Moving the Love Grass (I like to say it in my best Barry White voice)opened up an area in the one gallon section, and since we need to hit the back row with the hose after the sprinklers run, I decided to fill in the gaps and relocate the back row.
In doing this, I saw we had a few visitors.
But don't tell Jim! There's only so much Jim can do to protect the plants from all the things that enjoy them on the food chain. He's the grower and he likes his plants in good shape. I'm the nature geek and love looking at bugs. Snails, beetles, caterpillars, grasshoppers, bees and butterflies all come through our fly-by, crawl-through window for a meal on the go. Some are welcome and quite beautiful. They pick up some pollen or nectar and are on their way. Others, like a litterbug, leave tell tale signs. They lay eggs or munch holes. While the ladybug may munch on the aphids all over the Milk Weed (more ladybugs, please) and while a wasp may find something yummy to cart away, they can't cover it all.
Yesterday while moving the Sapphire Blue Salvia, I noticed a Lubber, a type of grasshopper. These things are amazing. Huge! They are about 4-5 inches big. They'll really freak out the insect-sensitive person. Their bite (on a leaf; not me)is in direct proportion to their size.
I think they are really cool. Awful deaths are in store for the Lubber by gardeners who don't respect them. They snip off their heads! That freaks me out. So I gently took Mr. Lubber away and tossed him into the scrub palm field, where I hope he'll find a good meal and not come back.
Mama Gulf Fritillary also came. Perhaps several Mamas. And they made their nursery on our Purple Passion Vine. Their little babies are orange caterpillars with a few black spikes lining their backs. I'll take a picture tomorrow and we'll see how many leaves will be on the vines. I am betting some will be absolutely stripped.
Now, while the caterpillar has a tremendous appetite and will strip a plant of its leaves, it won't kill it. In a few days they'll wander off and complete their metamorphosis by becoming a chrysallis. They'll turn into Mama Fritillary and find some more Purple Passion Vine.
Our Swallowtail caterpillar friends had already munched on our fennel and parsley, which are trying to recover, and they have moved on. It made my daughter sad, who liked to visit them and make their little orange horns pop out when she pet them.
I'm not going to pluck the caterpillars off. If I find a pretty Passion I want to take to market, I'll just move those babies to another vine that's serving as snacks.
But don't tell Jim, because while he shrugs his shoulders in resignation at a bunch of invading caterpillars, he probably will cut that Lubber's head off.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie--Your photos are beautiful! I am somewhere in between you and Jim in my attitude towards bugs. I was disappointed when my nasturtium leaves went yellow due to a critter. --Jennifer (Your aunt-in-law) P.S. Arlene told Edmond she is having a great time with the kids.

    ReplyDelete