Thursday, June 9, 2011

June's Doings


I finally finished my project of sweeping the nursery and moving the pots. The dirt leeches out the holes at the bottoms of the plant pots, so we have a nice thick layer of dirt, earthworms, leaves and fertilizer to recompost.
This project took a while - I got to it in between volunteering at the school, vending at farmer's markets twice weekly, giving knitting lessons, and sometimes being plain lazy. But it looks good

Remember my rooster, Mo? Well, he's a father this season! Hedwig, our hen, hatched two eggs in May. The little dears romp around with their mother while Mo rules the roost in his psychopathic manner. I have him sort of trained. I'll call from the back door, "Mo, chook chook!" and he'll come scampering up the steps to fly on the railing and give a triumphant crow. I'll pick him up and carry him around for a bit, and then he leaves me alone.

These are some of the lovelies that customers have been enjoying at the market lately. The above photo shows a variegated form of Peacock Ginger. It's a shade-loving ground cover that makes these darling flowers in early summer.
Below is the bloom stalk of Red Yucca. It's possible for the stalk to reach 5 feet hight!


Jim set up a large L-shaped area in the back yard where we have drip irrigation for the 3gallon shrubs and trees. My next project is to weed in this jungle!

3 comments: